Here come the holidays, ready or not! As usual most of us find ourselves running to catch up. But the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) says that is a mistake. To avoid injuries and really savor the season we all need to cool it a little.
“Our bodies have the capacity to do a little more than we normally do,” says Scott Bautch, DC, on ACA’s Council on Occupational Health. “But our bodies do not adapt very well to doing a lot more than we normally do. Since the added demands of this season can stress the capacity of our bodies, we need to do everything we can to help ourselves.”
Eat right, drink plenty of water, stretch, exercise and slow down to enjoy the time with family.
ACA Holiday Health Tips
- Stay hydrated by drinking eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Coffee, tea, soft drinks and alcohol are dehydrators. Don’t substitute them for water. On really busy days, you may need to drink even more water.
- For last minute shopping wear shoes with plenty of cushioning in the soles to absorb the impact of walking on hard store floors. Skip the heels.
- Make sure your clothing is as comfortable as possible. Wear layers, for going in and out of stores.
- Leave the huge shoulder bags at home. Wear a light fanny pack and only carry your wallet, keys and cell phone.
- If you start to feel some pain, nip it in the bud. Apply an ice bag to the affected area for 20 minutes, and then take it off for a couple of hours. Repeat a couple of times each day for a day or two.
- When wrapping gifts, alternate spots, standing at a table or countertop or sitting in a comfortable chair. Do not wrap packages while sitting on a hard floor. This can torpedo your posture.
- Always stretch before and after you wrap gifts. Stretch the opposite way you work. If you are leaning forward when wrapping, stretch backward when you are done.
Somewhere in the midst of the preparations make time to stop by your local chiropractor’s office for a wellness check.
Visiting the Chiropractor
Chiropractors believe wellness and routine chiropractic care should be as basic to our lives as healthy diets and daily exercise.
They offer the purest form of chiropractic care, providing full spinal adjustments to check for subluxations, which are misalignments of one or more vertebrae in the spine and/or the joints.
When the misalignment is corrected it may have far reaching effects on back, neck and sciatica pain. It may also help with allergies, TMJ, arthritis, headaches and migraines.
If this sounds like a good option, check out The Joint Chiropractic. The Joint makes it easy, eliminating the hassle of appointments and insurance with walk-in appointments and an affordable pricing plan, so that everyone can get the care they need.
Visit soon and find out more.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.